Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Haters gonna hate.

I'm a believer in knowledge.  It's kind of a hobby of mine to learn things, research things I'd like to understand better.  Knowledge is power.  When you are pursuing a degree, you study the subject matter.  When people are diagnosed with an illness, they look into causes, and cures.  People research where to take vacations, who the best doctor is in their area, how to crochet!  So, it's only natural that when a problem presented itself in my life, and left me baffled and speechless (and angry and sad) I decided to arm myself by trying to understand the why.  It won't solve the problem, it won't change the people that could desperately use the change, but it WILL make me feel proactive.  It will keep me from over thinking things and doubting myself.
So, one thing I have learned is that in Africa it is common for psychologists to assess people in terms of physical age (number of birthdays celebrated) AS WELL AS emotional age.  This article goes on to list 10 signs of  emotional immaturity in "adults".   It helped to read, a little.  Knowing that some people just make up lies about you because they are emotionally stunted, doesn't really take the sting out, but I guess it confirms that it is their issue, not mine.  Just like knowing that people gossip to feel superior, or for attention, doesn't make it okay, it still validates that no matter how much I care or give to others, sometimes it will go unappreciated.  Sometimes you have to look for a silver lining.  Sometimes people can really disappoint you, but this has all made me appreciate the stable people in my life.  My goal is to make it a point to let them all know in one way or another over the next few months.  The people that value you, that lift you up, and make life brighter are the ones to focus on.  Those are the ones to seek out.  I'm so fortunate to have so many people in my life that recognize my worth, my passion, my kind heart.  Those people make you strong.  They are a life raft, a strip of land on the horizon, when you are drowning.  The right people can make you feel invincible when others want to break you down.  So...despite their efforts, I.  will.  not.  break.


side note:  if people or life is getting you down, listen to this.  It's my current anthem.






No comments:

Post a Comment